Thursday, October 17, 2002

This cracked me up so much, I just *had* to add it before I left for home today (yay! home!):

The origin of the word "tragedy" is a matter of conjecture. "Tragos" in Greek means "goat"; "oide" means "song." The exact connection of goat-song to drama is not clear, although three hypotheses have been advanced: (1) a goat was sacrificed as part of the original improvised ritual honoring Dionysus; (2) the chorus wore goatskins for costumes; (3) a goat was offered as a prize in the early choral contests. At any case, tragedy was associated with goat-song or goat-singer in it's early stages.

Becuase, of course, when I think of tragedy, I think of goat-song. Don't you? (gotta love theatre class and how it brings out such fun points from the screwy textbook.)

No comments: