Sunday, February 09, 2003

Now That I Have 1/2 the Soundtrack on Merv: y'all don't need to hear me gush about "Chicago" (you can listen to the people who get paid to do that instead, because I've got to mess with my brit lit paper still (see below post for when I was *majorly* frustrated four hours ago).

Anyway, since I'm not going to let you in on how fantabulous I thought the movie was (or how, when they say Richard Gere can tap dance, they mean he can confounded dance - man, that made me want to pull out my tap shoes and dance around for awhile), I figure, "why not the trailers instead?" I'm a movie trailer junkie. I know some people plan their movie going plans so they can miss seeing the previews or don't mind if they come in after the trailers have started, but that drives me crazy. It's like I've missed something because I missed whatever tripe Jim Carrey's putting out that summer or the newest sequel destined to be worse than the original. (All this means that I don't appreciate people *talking* during the previews, either, but I suppose that group two rows behind me didn't know that, so I shouldn't justify my throwing candy at them as a means of defending the arts, huh?)

So, here it is, fully link-a-fied for your enjoyment (hope you've got Quicktime)....

Hannah's Movie Trailer Reviews


* Bringing Down the House: Steve Martin's newest movie since "Novocaine" (which, I think three people saw, but I hear it had a great soundtrack), which looked much better than what I'd feared. Yeah, there were some tacky prison jokes and white people trying to do the ghetto look (ouch, Steve, ouch), but the movie doesn't try to hook-up Queen Latifah with Steve, so that improves the whole concept ten degrees. (No, I don't know why I'm in degrees, pull out your chart and convert it into Kelvin, if you'd like.) (I don't know what that meant.)

* Down With Love: I discovered this movie by accident back in January, and haven't been able to wait to see it ever since. Anything that combines Ewan McGregor and Renee Zellweger (along with a non-neurotic David Hyde Pierce--I didn't know he still knew how to do that!) automatically equals fantabulous, especially when you add in the groovy costumes and scenic design. Don't you dare flub this film, 20th Century Fox!

* Anger Management: I don't know how this'll turn out. Boy these guys (Adam Sandler and Jack Nicholson) look great in the film ("in the acting sense," she says, quickly amending the statement), and whoever edited and picked the music for the trailer put together a fabulous comercial, but I probably won't see this because I'm not a big Adam Sandler person (and this definitely isn't going to have the standards of "Punch-Drunk Love," that I can see).

* Down With Love: Yeah, okay, so they showed this twice. It was okay, though, because we got to make deja vu jokes. (And, hey, anything with Ewan McGregor in it can most *definitely* show up twice.)

* View From the Top: who would really buy Gwyneth Paltrow as trailer trash? Or a bimbo flight attendant? I suppose it's always good that Candice Bergen is getting work again, and it's nice to see Mike Myers when he isn't trying to play every role in the entire flick. I guess the movie has a quirky chick flick vibe to it, but it looks a little too cheesy for even my blood.

So, there you go. Bet you're glad movie trailers don't last as long as award shows, huh? (Speaking of which....Oscar noms come out on Tuesday! Joy!)

No comments: