Saturday, April 26, 2003

Once more, Paul Kastner is a lucky, lucky man

Jill, my one-act director forwent (I guess that's how you'd do "forego" in past tense) practice last night in favor of a cast/crew sleep-over of all ten girls and one guy (Paul--I'm sure he had fun).

The evening started off fun while I waited for Jill to pick me up and ran into Arthur from my Leadership class. This is the same person who once wrote the entire Japanese alphabet on my right hand because "it was lonely" compared to my left that had notes scribbled all over it. I enjoy his sense of humor. He asked if I was guarding the street--which I easily identified as "The Street Between Dobson and Ryle Where I Once Almost Died" (hey, you shouldn't expect someone with no sense of direction to remember street names)--and it soon escalated into me protecting Truman (and "The Street...") from invading mongols hiding at Great Wall.

Jill soon showed up, and we continued picking up other people, including the very drunk roommate of another cast member who needed a ride downtown. Her entire speech about helping people learn lines is my new favorite set of babbling. We arrived at our destination (Lindsay [another cast member]'s apartment) and promptly broke out the chips and cash [for pizza, natch] while speaking some nearly-incoherant babbles of our own.

*New game alert!* Everybody writes down five (depending on the size of the group) names of people--famous or otherwise (we had everything from John Cusack to Willy Wonka to Ben Mason, one of the cast's best friend)--and puts them in a bowl. Everybody divides into teams (we did it by grade level). Then, each team tries to guess as many names as possible in one minute. There's three rounds: first, you can say whatever you want to try and get your team to name the person; second, you can only use two words each sheet of paper ("um," "lordy," and various explicatives count toward your total--one team didn't understand that everytime they said "oh crap," that was all they could do); third, it's pure charades. The round ends when the bowl is empty. Us freshmen women won (yay!), though I think it helped that we went first, I somehow rocked at the two word thing, and we were the last to play in the charades round, so there were only so many names left. (Obviously, this game takes *forever.*)

Pizza arrived, we played Psychiatrist for about two hours, and settled into Truth or Dare around one. The highlight of that game arrived when someone's dare was to prank call a really arrogant theatre major (Joe) and harrass him for a few minutes--which went over well until she hung the phone and it immediately rang again. Lindsay freaked out, completely possitive it was Joe calling back and he would hate her just because the call came from her house even though she personally didn't make it. Of course, the joke for the rest of the night/morning was that Joe was about to jump out and get Lindsay. Finally, we plopped in a movie around 3:30-ish and I fell asleep completely [I missed most of the movie because I kept dozing off] around five as the sun was starting to appear through the drawn blinds.

Naturally, nobody got up until after ten, and it was around 12:30 before I finally made it back to my dorm room--just in time to shove down some food before rushing to choir rehearsal at one. Thankfully, the run-through went fast, and I was free by three. I then ran downtown to try and scrounge up a costume for my one-act (nothing I own can pass for six AND thirteen--or even just six), bought overpriced candy at the gas station (I have to practice saying lines with something gooey in my mouth), and came back for supper.

Favorite moment of the weekend (so far): waiting for half the cast to go outside to smoke and moving the couch in front of the door so they couldn't get back in and then stopping to pose for pictures before realizing the backdoor was very unlocked and very open and very much letting in the unhappy smokers. I'll try and post a pic if I ever figure out how.

No comments: