Wednesday, July 30, 2003

How can it be new if he's been dead awhile?

Last night the Muny gang went, well, Muny-ing to see "Crazy for You" (billed "the new Gershwin musical!"). I didn't know much about the show beyond Susan Stroman creating the choreography for the Broadway version, but I think it's my favorite show of the season. I know I haven't wanted to go out and strap on my tap shoes so much since I saw "Chicago" in January. Highlights of the night:

* nobody sat in front of me so, for the first time all summer, I had a perfect view the entire time

* every time a slow, romantic ballad was sung, the gentleman two seats down put his arm around his wife (who was next to me) and managed to hit me on the shoulder every time

* Pac-man fever!

* the end picture that would've made Kovar cry, it was so perfectly staged

* all the times the director must've said "okay, I just want to stop the entire flow to showcase half the cast as the fantabulous dancers they are" judging by the final show

No comments: