Thursday, September 04, 2003

There's also one in Brooklyn

We're only two weeks in, but I've still had moments when I've missed Dobson, my lovely quirky dorm from last year. My freshman year I found no better way to fall asleep than listening to the incoming student's voices echo in the courtyard. I loved seeing how many lights were on while others frantically typed papers, like myself. Even when it seemed Debbie was trying to ignore my very existance, I never felt alone during the evenings will the rest of the DOB out my window.

Ryle is bigger than Dobson. Much much MUCH bigger. I look out my window and see, not other students desperately trying to procrastinate, but the perpetually lit windows of the main lounge. After 10:30, students have to enter the building through the back, so I can't listen to the smokers joke and laugh as I drift off. Sure, I might hear the occassional passing in the hallway, but it's not at all like last year.

However, I have a tree.

This tree obviously isn't mine personally. If I was in charge of its well-being, it'd probably die in a week (though I didn't kill the foster plants....which I only mention to discover I never posted about them in the first place because that was when the network was down. I sense a second Vintage Toast. Anyway.). But, it is right outside my window, and--if the hole in my screen were bigger--I could touch it easily. Instead of falling asleep to people, I wake up to birds and (even better) squirrels. I might miss my reaffirming "Place in this World/Never Alone" (and any other song titles you can think up that talk about connection...ooh! "Rainbow Connection!") evenings, but it's awful spiffy to wake up like Cinderella.

No comments: