Wednesday, September 17, 2003

Who knew I was actually right all along?

It's the end of an era: I finally know who Adam is.

Allow me to explain.

A few days into the first week of college, I woke up and found a message on my dry erase board of "It's Adam...Remember me?" Of course, with the amount of crazy freshmen guys introducing themselves to Melissa and myself, I couldn't keep up with all of them. Melissa and I decided that, in lieu of homework, we'd go on an Adam search and find the mysterious message leaver.

The four person room around the corner has the unique feature of housing three guys named Dan (it's own special peculiarity), as well as one guy named Adam. We asked him first [he was the only Adam I knew of, at the time], yet he looked at us like we'd spewed obscenities on his grandmother's doorstep. We moved on.

Later that night, Melissa (while on the phone with her mother, no less) remembered another Adam: a friend's suitemate. Naturally, we ran up as fast as we could....only to discover he also had no clue what we were talking about (though he took it in stride - Adam's a cool dude). This actually led to an abandonment of the Adam Quest, as we spent the rest of the night talking to him and his friends and eating really great brownies from a girl on my floor. This Adam is actually now "Fake Adam" to our group, just from all this.

So, the "It's Adam....Remember me?" message became a big joke in our circle of friends, with many variations since (most people use that as their standard greeting on our board, though I still love the handwriting sample we gave Fake Adam that first night best). I hadn't given the first, "real" Adam much thought since--until tonight.

I went down the hall to throw out recyclables and, naturally, spent the walk reading people's message boards. I got to the big barrels for cans, turned around, and saw on the Three Dans and Adam board: "Adam- Don't forget math! [heart]- Hannah."

Eureka! I couldn't believe it! We'd had the right Adam all along, he'd just had the way wrong Hannah. Naturally, he'd look at me like I'd spewed obscenities on his grandmother's doorstep: I wasn't the right Hannah. So, while it's great to finally know who the "real" Adam was, and prove that I was right, it's a little sad to have a little less mystery in my life.

That is, until I start passing the "It's Adam..." along to someone else. Watch out, Dobson!

No comments: