Sunday, October 19, 2003

Just because my name means grace....

Doesn't mean the rest of me gives a hoot about general walking ability.

One-Act auditions were today and, since I had other things to do, I tried to get there as early as possible. This meant my name was a bit higher up on the list so I found myself being called to "on deck" (meaning "you're next after the person currently walking toward the stage") right away. I was mentally going over my monologue one last time, when I got the strange thought that it would be really embarrassing if I tripped going up the stairs to the stage. No reason why, and I quickly dismissed it.

Perhaps I should've paid more attention to it.

I was just about onstage when I slipped, conked my knee on part of the stair/part of the stage (it's not like I was paying attention to know exactly what), and suddenly had everyone's attention. I think I did score points by, when all the directors on the front row were trying to figure out if I was okay, the first thing I said was "Does this mean I automatically get a part?"

Good news was I wasn't worried about my monologue anymore so much as thinking "ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow." Plus, even though I forgot the gum, things worked out to the best as I got to end with, "May I please remind you that it does not say R.S.V.P. on the Statue of Liberty!" and everyone applauded like they do in the movie, so life was great.

Of course, then I later stumbled back to my room and had ice cubes on my knee (which is already bruising; I must've hit various levels of the stairs/stage, because the bruise came out in layers) for the rest of the afternoon until they melted all over my leg (dang cheap bags).

Yet, I'm okay. Stairs aren't very fun at the moment, but at least none of the directors can forget who I am.

No comments: