Saturday, November 08, 2003

Bestest. Concert. Ever.

So.

I now have probably have the equivilent of a Christmas list (I'm sure you're happy now, Grandma) because I had the greatest time ever at the Ben Folds (with the also fab Matt Wertz--who gives the best autographs ever [seriously: I'll scan it in someday, it's so fab]--opening). Maybe it's because I'm a music person myself, but there was something fantabulous about the entire thing being just a guy and his instrument (Matt, a guitar; Ben, a piano that he pounded the crap out of). And we sat on the right side of the gym (Yes, it was in a gym. This is Kirksville, after all.) so we could see his hands turn into blurs right there on the keys. Really.

And I could go into full-out gushing about the mad piano skills, and the great between song comments from both guys, all the audience singing (when you just have a piano and you're playing something that needs trumpets, you do what you have to do), the song changed to be about Kirksville, talking to Matt Wertz about Sherri Lewis (seriously), watching Ben Folds climb all over the piano, and the encore that featured a mini lesson on chords ("this used to be in major, but I decided--since it is sad--to put it in minor...now, this is a diminished chord...") and the final verse in Japanese.

So, I'll be jetting that Christmas list off to you soon, Grandma, now that I have two new CDs to put on it. Though none of them will have Japanese on them.

No comments: