Thursday, February 05, 2004

"A rickety pirate ship" describes the set and our mindset

So, final hour count: for the FORTY hours I spent awake (from 7:30 a.m. on Friday morning through apx. 11:30-ish on Saturday night), I was asleep for ten minutes. Now do you understand why I haven't posted; I've been sleeping for three days.

(Well, not exactly, but I suppose I'm slowly catching up on my sleep once more...though I'll ruin it again this weekend with obsessive movie watching.)

Anyway, highlights of another 24 hours spent doing theater and trying not to kill anyone by four in the afternoon:

* Subject? Pirates, in "Yarr! the Musical," which equaled lots of jokes about mateys, parrots, and the ocean, plus "yarr" as a general word for anything.

* Hy-Vee at five in the morning (only copy place open), with a cart of fresh donuts and orange juice, desperately trying to add up/multiply/whatever the number of copies Courtney and I just made. ("Hey, Hannah, you know what's worse than a theatre major trying to do math? A theatre major trying to do math at FIVE in the MORNING!")

* the trash bag with red duct tape accented (yeah, skull and crossbones!) Pirate King jacket--so my idea!

* watching the show completely crash down upon itself during the dress rehersal, which featured apx. 5% actual scripted dialogue and plot and 95% "what the crap are they doing" hilarious improv

And, my fav lines:

* Captain: (after the Robot Pirate dies during the Storm Ballet) RUST, you foul chemical process!

* Captain: (during the dress rehersal when the finale completely fell apart, and the Capt. just randomly decided to leave the stage) Ay, mates, I be going off to the great beyond...

* Voice Over: (of Smee) I have fallen for Shannon. I think that he is truly the one for me. (back to Shannon) Stop talking. This is my monologue! Oh, now I lost my train of thought.

* Corporate Pirate: I think I shall burst into song now... and I forget what this verse said, but the only point you need to know is that the ship and the girl will be mine! I guess that's actually two, but I am the Corporate Pirate!

* (CHORUS) He's a dead man dancin'/ No more romancin' / STOP THAT PRANCIN'!/ He's a dead man dancin'!

No comments: