Saturday, April 03, 2004

So, it took a couple days to smooth out the details...

(This should've been posted earlier in the week, but my schedule went all *splah* on me around Wednesday/Tuesday and I've spent more time in OP this week than I want to think about.)

When Megan and I (Meredith was studying for a test) showed up at the high school on Tuesday, two police officers, a handful of students, and various office workers were standing around talking about "what needed to be done," except it was all in a "we're desperately trying not to laugh and failing miserably" way. We shrugged it off, moved on down to the drama classroom, and waited for class to begin.

What were all the students talking about when we arrived? Why, the kids who had stolen a vehicle from the parking lot and driven to Wal-Mart.

The THIRD GRADERS who stole a truck and drove to Wal-Mart.

Apparently (though I didn't find this part out until Linguistics class when my professor brought it up for reasons only she knows), when the two third graders were dropped off at school, they waited for their parents to drive off before sneaking over to the high school. They then proceeded to look through the cars in the parking lot before finding a truck with the keys still in the emission.

Surely rejoicing in their luck, one delinquent worked the pedals, the other handled the steering wheel, and they took off for Wal-Mart.

While on the road to the commercial center of our town, a semi driver noticed a vehicle driving erratically (Well, yeah! One's on the pedals and one's on the steering wheel!) and notified the police. By the time the two vehicles reached Wal-Mart, the cops were waiting.

Not only did they find two WAY underage drivers (I can only imagine that: "May I see your license an-" [notices second "driver"] "Where are your parents?!?"), they also discovered the spoils of the pre-keys searching: a pack of cigarettes, two lighters, and an air gun.

Dudes, if this doesn't spell short story material, I don't know what does. I'm getting prepared for creative writing class all over the place.

No comments: