Friday, June 18, 2004

This doesn't mean I won't get as lost as before.

I put out my last gypsy moth trap on Thursday afternoon around 1:15 in the middle of nowhere at the bottom of Franklin County. The last time I'd been close to that grid (around trap 30), the road had flooded just before the square actually started, and I'd been forced to turn around. Yesterday, I plopped trap 306 across the road from an open gate, just down the street from where the angry dogs had chased me back into my car.

I figure that was a good place to earn a break from the trap business.

Starting on Monday (after a stint talking about moths to second through fifth graders at summer school), I'm moving into the purely forestry business for two weeks. [Technically, gypsy moth falls under "resource science" instead of "forestry." Whatever.] I'm probably hitting some campsite clean-up, I've been invited on some forestry visits, and who knows what else. For all I know, I'll end up slumming it up at the office, doing paperwork for the secretaries, but I don't mind as long as they continue paying me. Which, you know, they kinda have to by law and stuff.

Score one for the government, at least.

No comments: