Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Excuse me while I go a bit philosophical and mix my metaphors

As someone told me lately/Everyone deserves a chance to fly. -Wicked

Sometimes in life you reach that moment where you come to the edge of the metaphorical cliff and must decide what's next. Stay on the edge and gaze out on all the possibilities while effectively choosing to ignore them all.

Or.

Or, you can instead take the leap, make the jump, and land where you land. Sometimes you stick the landing, 10s all around and scoop up your brave victory. But sometimes instead you crash at the bottom of a gorge that was uplimately larger than you gauged and wait for the rescue team to bail you out.

Anyone who knows me could (and would) describe me as a terrible good edge-stander. I rarely take the jump unless I know of a safety net underneath, especially in...certain...areas of my life. Even though those moments when I have said "screw it" to the edge and took my chances have mostly proved ultimately positive, it's hard to break tradition (as it were). Last school year I lost out on something I desperately wanted because I felt too afraid to jump at it myself and the ledge turned into a weird, awkward limbo. Any pain that might have resulted from any flying and crashing eventually equalled what I felt simply watching the options disappear. I don't want to go through that again.

I'm currently at another of those junctions, ironically after pursuing it for most of a week. It's less certain overall than the previous example, yet never see that if you've been around me the past week, all excited about lamps and palidromes and banter blah blah. I technically have until 1:00 p.m. Wednesday to decide (how very Empire Records, huh?), but I don't need that long. It's my half-birthday, and I feel like trying to fly.

1 comment:

Caleb Michael said...

This is late to ask, but, "What's with today, today?"