Friday, December 09, 2005

Is it an epiphany if you've basically known it all along?

"But I started dancing long before this stupid workshop, and I'm gonna keep on dancing long after it. So tomorrow is one more day I get to dance." -Eva, Center Stage

Last night at the one-acts, I ended up seated next to the professor and feeling waves of frustration that he spent the whole time in professor mode taking notes instead of simply enjoying the work (like the directing class, easily the loudest group in the entire theatre). At that moment, I realized I really didn't care how the others felt about my show anymore. True, some opinions I'm interested in hearing afterward, but I've ceased to believe in any importance of the letter grade. From the beginning of the class, I've joked that my directing style breaks down to "if it makes me laugh, we keep it until I hate it." Happily, I've evolved from there, but the fact remains that there are very few bits/deliveries/character choices/etc I would change, given time and ability.

I may never direct again, yet I've enjoyed myself much more than I ever imagined, a fact greatly proven by the amazing people I've been working and making friends with for the past month-ish span of the project. I fell in and out and back once more in love with this script. There's an odd zen-ish state about me at the moment, tempered by excited (not nervous) anticipation. So many people are rooting for this to go well, and I don't see any possible reason why it shouldn't just fall into place.

1 comment:

Caleb Michael said...

Aww...

My baby sister used the word "zen" correctly in a sentence and in a non-sacrastic or ironic way.

SNIFF!

She's all grownded up.

(unlike me)