Tuesday, November 14, 2006

the last crumbs left in my brain today

* Over the course of the evening, I pulled together ten pieces of mail that I now need to go drop in the outbox, including three postcards and one extensive letter.

* I have had the best fried chicken I've ever eaten, and it's from a recipe on the back of a spice bottle.

* Merv has decided, in honor of our slightly north of the border status, to only play the Disney songs on the hard drive that are in Spanish. There are more of these than some people might originally believe.

* Gilmore Girls is going to drive me to the point of not watching it anymore within the next month unless something changes drastically.

* I think I'm going to pick all my Facebook status messages from Googlism from now on, purely because it amuses me and I seldom have real news to share there anyway.

* I was asked yesterday if Houston felt like home yet (or something to that effect), and I had to admit that it did. I've been meaning to write a post on it for awhile without finding the proper words. Why should the shiny green brick in wall that I pass daily (and like to think has some form of magic attached) contribute to my feeling of belonging in the same way as a firm knowledge of the local bus schedule? Why does purchasing a bag of flour or a muffin pan or a framed wall print make me feel settled and all adult-like? Sometimes it just strikes me for utterly random reasons that I'm here in Houston on my own (for all practical purposes) and it's thrilling/terrifying/all manner of other emotions I can't affectively describe this week because my brain is too busy with tech work.

* Yes, did I mention it's the start of tech time, this show extended over two weeks due to the Thanksgiving-ness of next week? Swell. And I'd like to see some lights materialize, seeing as the mainstage opens tomorrow and people'll finally have time for the rotunda.

No comments: