Thursday, December 28, 2006

(and almost out of queso)

First night back at box office in a month, and no end of problems. The printer didn't work in the lobby, the ticketing program didn't want to load, and the majority of people from the large group attending the show didn't seem to realize that their tickets were not under their individual names.

My favorite part would be the woman and her daughter who showed up about five minutes into the show (which had already started late, btw). The house manager had fetched me from another part of the theater despite my plea to just send them away because, in his words, "maybe we could make a little money." We get to the lobby, and, as the mother was on the phone, it takes a few more minutes for them to finally walk over. Conversation (edited down to reach the point quicker) ensues:

HANNAH: Okay, I have a few seats left. Full price for tonight is $30 and a student walk-up ticket would be $15. (to house manager) I'll sell tickets on the left, but you can just seat them wherever's least distracting.

BRAZEN WOMAN: Actually, we're season ticket holders and already saw the show before. I was hoping that we could just walk-in and get any open seat. (*smiles*)

[I know this smile. It's the same smile I use whenever I'm asking somewhat impossible or unhappy tasks.]

HANNAH: For free?

BRAZEN WOMAN: Yes.

[artful pause, half glance to house manager]

HANNAH: I'm sorry, but that's not our policy.

BRAZEN WOMAN: Oh. Well I guess we'll pass then. Thanks so much! Exits.

Because, of course, I'm going to reward your lack of consideration for the actors and crew with complimentary tickets since you're a season ticket holder and you've seen the first five minutes, anyway. Sheesh. At least I get the morning off tomorrow.

No comments: