Saturday, October 22, 2011

dinner 2.0 brought to you by the fact that this ballgame is STILL going

Most of the time, I am not a sports person. I'd rather talk about movie release dates than player stats. I have a hard time keeping track of the lingo. I actually own a book called "The Smart Girl's Guide to Sports," all about non-sports people faking that knowledge.

[I don't think this is much of a secret. In fact, I was surprised when anyone believed I was actually going to soccer practice when I was attending "soccer practice."]

But....

Something seems to happen to me when the Cardinals end up in the post-season. I think this must be another genetic quirk from my mother, because I've noticed the same thing happens to her. They stop being the team that usually breaks my heart by the end of the season, turning into the team that Just Might Do it This Year, and that gives me license to truly care. I start to have opinions about the players, even beyond the known names. I'm able to have conversations over the sports section with the sports-obsessed house manager. Jeepers, I read the sports section. These past two weeks, I've been that obnoxious person at rehearsal who has the game updating on the phone when she should be writing down blocking.

So, yeah, it's unusual for me to do things like watch a four hour (and four minutes!) ballgame, or set a team logo as my facebook icon, and many other things I've done here lately. Just give it a week, people, and I'll be normal again.

No comments: