Saturday, November 23, 2002

Wow, I just love how the universe suddnely decided I deserved awesome Fridays! Maybe it's because the rest of my weekday evenings have one-act practice...I don't really know, and don't especially care, either. I just know that last night was so-o-o-o much fun!

I went out with the flute section again to see Harry Potter (although this time we stayed in Kirksville and didn't take a road trip to Macon), which--of course--meant we had to eat out first. Between McDonalds (which has these *amazing* "Treasure Planet" Happy Meal toys right now AND they're back to the old cardboard boxes [at least for now]--a double helping of wonderfulness) and the movie theatre itself, I have about 89 cents left. (Please, marching band paycheck, please please come in soon!)

But, I loved the movie just as much as I did the first time around, which means I can totally justify to myself buying the DVD when it comes out next year at a price that's way too high for my cheap college lifestyle. Of course, we weren't in the very front row (as fun as that was) and we made comments to each other the entire time (Kristen, dude, you crack me up)--including credits--but it was still lots of fun.

When we came back to campus, we decided it was the perfect time to explore the basement in Baldwin Hall, which is supposed to be haunted......this naturally led to trying to get into *every* basement on campus. So you, young Truman student, never have to go through this same process, I give you:

The Basements of Truman Buildings


Ophelia Parrish - very white, very sterile looking, very boring. Don't waste your time unless you just want to ride in the gigantic elevator (it's made to fit instruments and scenery pieces--I think we're going to sneak into the building and have a flute sleep-over in it sometime, though).

Kirk Memorial - actual door to the basement was locked, but that's probably to protect the weird artifact museum down there. There *was* a good collection of old dentist chairs outside the door, however, and the first floor lobby has excellent accoustics for singing loudly ("I Will Survive") or just yelling because no one's around.

Kirk Building - I was the only one who'd actually been in the basement here before (there's a big gym down there where we filmed for filmclub the day I actually got to stay long enough to be part of the movie), and that stayed the same as all the doors were locked. Truman, is there no trust in the world? You leave everything else unlocked.

Violette Hall - There is no basement. We didn't even go in the building. (I think it was locked, anyway.)

McClain Hall - It's a boring building with no actual basement. We did utilize the campus phones to make a quick prank call, although the person wasn't home, so it was just a prank message (Hey, it's me! Call me back! Thanks, bye!). No, we didn't know the person.

Baldwin Hall - The only one with a remotely creepy basement; mainly because it's where all the old fine arts stuff was stored before it moved to OP, so the basement is just old lockers and cabinets hanging open with music all over the floor. Also in Baldwin, there's a door that constantly bangs against its lock, like someone's trying to get in from the other side. (Kristen could not stand by this door for longer than 30 seconds.) This was the only spooky thing (in my opinion) in any basement, although the dentist chairs were kinda weird. The best part about Baldwin, however, was the open window on the third floor that opened onto the roof. No, the sidewalk isn't close enough to the side of the building to use this fact to our advantage, although we did agree it would make the best hide-and-seek spot ever.

All in all, a wonderful time. I need to go exploring more often. (I'd say, I'll do that next Friday, but I'll be happily long gone from here by then--yay, Thanksgiving!) Hope all y'alls Friday was just as great. (Oh, and Memento? Twisted movie, y'all, but recommended highly. Broadway trivia: The chick who plays Stanley's wife just won the Tony last year for Featured Actress in a Musical even though she'd never done a musical before in her entire life. Go, Harriet Harris, go!)

No comments: