Friday, December 13, 2002

I'm currently sitting in the downstairs computer lab, instead of my usual comfy chair in my dorm room because (A) my room is hotter than blazes and at least there's a fan down here (yup, we're real high tech 'round thems parts, shore 'nuff), and (B) my roommate was still logged onto my happy computer (I've decided to name it "Chester," replacing "Steve," which started to become creepy when I actually met a guy down the hall named Steve who was very puzzled when I was yelling at Steve (the computer) because a file wouldn't come up) so she can play minesweeper during commercial breaks of the ST:TNG marathon leading to the opening date of Nemesis. I've actually been spending lots of time out of the room for this exact reason because anytime Debbie is in the room, the TV is on---which means the TV is always on Star Trek. Today I felt a particular thrill when Debbie was taking a final and I got to watch Trading Spaces for the very first time (I was disappointed; both groups seemed happy with what their neighbors had changed. I wanted more drama than that.).

I had a point. I think. Oh, yeah.....I'm in the lab. Anyway.

I finally saw the first Lord of the Rings, and--let me say--it's a pretty confounded good thing that the next one opens on Wednesday, or else I'd be rather upset with Peter Jackson and Company. You'd think that I'd figure out if there's two more movies, they can't possibly provide much closure at the end of the first. However, as my wonderful brother can attest, I'm able to watch the same movie repeatedly without losing interest because I don't try to think about what may or may not happen next.

I wasn't very happy with the universe when I finished this one. I loathe not finding closure.

It didn't help my movie-watching experience that my friends Tiffani and Megan (who got me Operation for Christmas! Megan is cooler every time I see her), who had seen the movie before, kept laughing at certain spots. Apparently, they'd found some site with the "secret diaries" of all the characters. [No, I don't have the link, but I don't think I want to see the site, since I *like* most movies the way they are.] I think if I see the flick again, I'll appreciate it more, but right now I'm kinda steamed with myself for not figuring out sooner that it wasn't going to end so much as pause. If that makes any sense.

At least I'm prepared for the second one, and all it's cliff-hanging action.

No comments: