Wednesday, January 01, 2003

[NOTE: I wrote this in the car coming home from Kansas City (well, Independence, but I still call it KC) last night. I’m lazy, and I’m going to use it anyway, even though it talks about how many hours are left until midnight. Yes, I could just leave this out. No, I won’t.]

I’m currently writing by flashlight (which is muffled from bugging my dad, the fussy driver, by my Truman sweatshirt). We’re on a patch of highway not too far from Independence, MO, where you can see the stars between headlights. It’s 6:21 and there are five hours and 39 minutes left in 2002. Caleb just gave up trying to read by headlight and is attempting to sleep by leaning against the pile of beddings stacked in the middle of the backseat. In about five minutes, my measly space will decrease even further as Caleb’s weight displaces pillows onto my side, so I should write fast while I can still move my elbow.

I’ve only posted once since I’ve been home, but I don’t know if this is a result of my non-constant, exceedingly slow internet connection, my utter lack of doings, or (later) my reluctance to mooch off others’ internet (even relatives).

I supposed I did *some* things over that Christmas stretch where I had no posts, but they mostly consisted of lots of small children arguing over who’s turn it was to play on the Playstation 2 (Santa was good to some people this year), crocheting my ears off, and updating my mom’s pop culture level by watching some of the newest popular movies, courtesy of my cousin’s DVD collection. I will say that the best Christmas present given to anyone this year was from my Uncle George to my Aunt Lori. He ordered Rocky Horror Picture Show on Amazon, but it wasn’t in yet, so he gave her a box with toast, a squirt gun, rice, and other things used in the interactive versions of the movie. My DVD collection expanded, which is why I really need to fix my player before going back to college where I won’t have time to watch any of them, but I’d like to know I could.

Cutest thing overheard: “We don’t have a Christmas tree, we have a Christmas box!” (I could explain, but then it’ll lose it’s charm.)

This is growing hideously long, so I’ll wrap up. I despise New Years Resolutions, mostly because they seem pointless and I never keep them. [My fake one, however, (you always need a fake one for when someone asks you what your resolution is) is to blink more. Let’s see y’all top that.] Instead, I prefer New Years Confessions. Then I get things out of my system and am free to embarrass my self again in the next year. So…

2003 Confessions


I will deny all of these if questioned in public.

* I know all the words to “Wannabe,” right down to the last zigga-zig-ah, due to a freshman year incident in the library.

* I truly believe I’ll know the man I’m supposed to marry when I meet him because I’ll always have a quip ready for any comment or teasing he may do.

* I’d also love it if he had an accent

* I just used “reassert” and “ka-bloowie” in the same sentence.

And if none of those seem embarrassing enough…

* The last time I kissed a [non-related] boy was first grade. I don’t remember his name, but I remember it happened during recess.

Happy New Year, y’all!

No comments: