Thursday, February 27, 2003

Won't you be my neighbor?: It's weird to get any news of real substance from AintItCool (what am I going to learn from an entertainment website that affects my life?), but this really got to me when I read it. I didn't even put that "Hearbreaking Day in the Neighborhood" thing together, either. It feels kinda weird to feel so sad over the death of a person I never met, but I suppose, in his own way, Fred Rogers was that first adult (outside of family) that I felt like I could trust. He was kinda like the friend your parents had that would always take time out of talking to them to tell all the kids a story or at least listen to them talk for awhile. If nothing else, I hold Mr. Rogers in fondness because I always believed they were singing to "Hannah" and not "Anna Platypus" and I always dug the mini-operas everyone put on (Bubbleland Opera! I cried when the hummingbird died!)

Yes, I knew they were puppets and people in costumes and a guy who had a quirky shoe trick. But I'll miss having him as my neighbor.

No comments: