Friday, April 04, 2003

They say this one has a surprise ending.

All that jazz about my acting scene (see yesterday, when I ranted about trying to memorize a scene when we hadn't even picked it out yet [btw, we finally picked the scene around 10 last night] and how nervous it made me) came to an end today when my partner didn't show up for both blocking at 8 and coaching (with the teaching assistant, who probably handle the situation than the actual prof) at 10. I have to admit, I really didn't expect her to show up at eight this morning (if she couldn't stay awake at 3:30 yesterday afternoon, I didn't figure there was much hope for eight in the morning...though I didn't think of that until about 7:56 this morning), but I figured she'd actually make it to coaching, which is a major part of our grade. (I especially figured Lexy would pull herself out of bed after I woke her up at 9:20...not to mention the message at 8:15 and additional phone call around ten.)

So, what did I do for my half hour that I would've spent being coached by Jill, who's also my director for the one-acts? Ranted about Lexy, talked about partner problems (Steve from the time slot after mine was missing his partner, too, although A.J. [who, FYI-speaking, looks like Clay from American Idol] eventually showed up.), and discused how practice was going for the show (the last practice we played Sardines and Tag out on the quod until around midnight, which was great fun until I threw up in the BNB trash can, but we don't have to go there again).

The twist to all this, however, is from the phone call I got right before lunch. No, it wasn't Lexy (although I did call her after I got back from "coaching" and asked what happened--she fell asleep again), but Becky Becker, my acting professor, calling to say she'd had some choice words with certain people and reassigned partners: A.J. and Lexy were put together [may God grant mercy on both their souls] and I'm now with Steve. I'm actually a little surprised that Becky reassigned partners with a week before the performance, although, as she observed, Lexy and I certainly hadn't made much progress (I refrained from telling her what a massive understatement that was), so starting over wasn't a big deal.

Tra-la-la. Yet one more reason to love my one-act.

No comments: