Tuesday, August 05, 2003

Disenfranchised Youth Day

Not only did I spend Monday night as the only person in "Homelines/Domestics/Fabrics/You Name It, I Probably Ran It Solo" last night, but I also did so while observing the antics of multiple groups of teenagers with [sadly] nothing better to do than kill a few hours at Wal-Mart. Most of the groups were okay; they'd ask a few questions, talk loudly, and lounge around on furniture samples, but nothing that merited full blown observation. One group, however, decided to beat each other with pillows and the Hulk loungers (which are frightening, btw), run around softlines (the clothing area to non-Wal-Mart people), and throw random things at each other. I listened to them make noise for awhile before deciding to rectify the issue (I *did* have a lot to do without worrying about a posse of idiotic adolescents) by constantly showing up in the same aisle as the group and holding staring contests until they would move on again. I'd thought I managed to make them leave my area and had gone back to doing my real job when I heard a crash in the furniture section. I rushed out of the pet aisle just in time to see one of the delinquents throw something (I never did figure out what) at someone else out of my view.

I think I snapped a little.

If my Wal-Mart sense would've been on, I probably would have just quickly snuck up on the young hoodlum, told him politely to stop throwing things, and threatened calling management. Instead, in a moment that would have made Mrs. Cox, my high school choir teacher, infinitly proud after all those years of "project, Hannah, project!," I yelled at the kid from seven aisles away at a volume that made half of softlines (and God knows who else) look up...as well as send him running out of sight. Then I spent the rest of the time staying in view of the group (whenever possible--dang fabric calls!) and sending pointed looks their way every few minutes. I'm sure they would've spit in my hair and attacked me with throw pillows if they could've found a way.

So, to recap, my day that could've turned out completely hellish (being the only person in 3+ areas for over six hours is kinda overwhelming at first....and second and third....) actually turned out to be one of the funnest because I took all my agrivation out on an idiot kid and therefore ended some of my "stupid customers" frustration by actually letting one have it for once.

I recommend all Wal-Mart employees do that before they leave, just do it in your last week and when no one important is around...just in case (hey, my adreneline may jump in, but that doesn't mean I go all stupid or anything).

You can thank me by loaning me your discount card after mine stops working.

No comments: