Saturday, September 27, 2003

How did duct tape become so stuck on me?

Instead of continuing my morning o' productivity, I chose to squander my afternoon down the hall in 308, my standard "if Hannah's not in her room, she's probably here" spot. However, you could probably call us productive in a different, non-academic way, since we were working on costumes for the King Arthur video (I'm not linking to something that is two posts before this one, scroll).

To simplify, we made duct tape armor.

I think most of us had wanted to make duct tape armor ever since Melissa first brought it up the same night we played "Duck Duck Goose" on the quad, but we didn't have a real reason (beyond spiffy Halloween costumes, of course)....until that whole medieval setting thing popped up. Sure, we could *buy* hard plastic breastplates from Wal-Mart, but wouldn't it be more fun to do it ourselves?

My pictures from this better turn out (not just because I've already had a couple of requests for the doubles), and I'll be sure to show them off if they do. We helpfully volunteered the only armor-wearing guy in the film here on campus this weekend to be the guinea pig and basically made him stand still for an hour while he was wrapped in duct tape by everyone else in the room (minus two people for scissors and picture taking).

I won't go into the long process of making Ben stand still while others tried to angle tape around him. That's the sort of hilarious thing you had to be there for (and I can't remember enough of the quotes to try and accurately reproduce it.) In the end, things turned out quite better than I would've thought. The final product was covered with black duct tape (he's the evil one, por supuesto) with a metallic silver outline and is only missing the black leather ties that will hold the sides together. The rest of us also ended up with a smattering of bracelets, arm bands, and rings (and one toe crown - and thus one whole toe monarchy, but I digress) to wear around the dorm. Oh, and we have to make three more of these things.

Perhaps the Lady of the Lake has a swimming suit made out of duct tape....?

No comments: