Sunday, September 28, 2003

(Pretend I posted this Thursday. Thanks.)

It's getting to the point where people just can't find me on Tuesday and Thursday. It used to be simple: I only have one morning class, so I'd sit in my room and work on homework, blogging, etc, between waking up, class, and the afternoon rush. This was awful convenient the first couple of weeks, especially with tests.

Then my scholarship had to screw all that up.

Starting this year, students with my scholarship were given the option of skipping out on scholarship hours (5 hours of unpaid work for the university per week) in favor of a community service/mentoring sort of thing. Naturally, most of the group jumped at the opportunity (whether for the resume boost or fewere required hours, I won't debate) and several places around the community were asked for their assistance. Myself and two friends attached ourselves to the high school drama department, remember with fondness our own high school theatre experiences. We met the teacher, volunteered for her third hour drama class, and left with giddy excitement of putting our TSU acting classes to use.

[This, for those keeping track, is where things turn for the worse.]

Not ten hours after we returned to the dorm, Megan (one of the "two friends" mentioned above) realized she had a class smack in the middle of the high school drama hour. Obviously, she couldn't skip every single time, so we had to pick a new time (mostly because there was no way I was going to teach a group of high schoolers all by myself, thanks).

So, now we're teaching speech (a class Meredith [the second friend] and myself are just now taking), two hours every Tuesday and Thursday, which basically means we're making crap up as we go along. The teacher doesn't really give us guidelines for what she wants us to teach each class, though I don't think she has any better idea what us scholarship people are supposed to be doing than we do. (Yay for guinea pig-ing it!) It also means I'm never around those days because I hope from high school to class to high school to class, class, supper. God be with me the next time I have a theatre test and want to manically study all through the high school kids' speech presentations.

And, please please please offer any ideas/suggestions/mockings you can think of to help us out. There are only so many theatre games that interlock with the basics of the speech canons. (And these people don't like Bunny Bunny, so all is lost in the game field anyway.)

No comments: