Wednesday, October 01, 2003

The Non-Adventures of a Box Office Worker

Out of the unselfish depths of my heart (well, that and because I'll do just about anything for theatre anymore), I volunteered to work the theatre box office this semester. Since I *was* just doing it for no real reason, I only ended up with shift (as opposed to the people doing this for scholarship hours or a class).

First thing Monday morning is a very boring time to sit in the theatre box office.

I arrived early for my shift, which was good because the person who was supposed to unlock the office didn't show up on time. Of course, no one showed up wanting to buy tickets, either, so it wasn't a big deal. She let us both in and I set up in my post in front of the window surrounded by the phone, the record book, and my pile of notebooks/pens/Chekov plays I'd brought along to pass the time. The other person pulled out tickets for the reserves made over the weekend, then left me to run things.

I read an entire Chekov play during my time there.

Admittidly, things picked up during my last half hour when people were trying to leave and/or go to class around lunch time. Still, I never had so long a line I couldn't wait for people to pick out exactly where the wanted to sit (including debating with those sitting with them; I sat through lots of "but, I'm short he's short you're too tall" etc). My replacement showed up and I left.

I'm still impressed that I managed to do something in my life that was so incredibly ordinary. There's hope for me yet!

No comments: