Thursday, November 27, 2003

Don't tell me I'm wrong: we talked about this in speech class

I'd like to draw everyone's attention to a grave holiday error committed today. Sure, there were the standard football games, parades, and other Thanksgiving merriment broadcast as usual. What am I talking about then? NBC decided against their annual showing of the cinematic classic, Jurassic Park.

Does no one else besides me (and, apparently, my corner of the speech classroom that was supposed to be discussing something else) remember this tradition? A few years back, NBC decided to show this movie--featuring dinosaurs, DNA, and lots of people dying--as their big holiday draw. It was so successful, they broadcast it a few years in a row, always on Thanksgiving.

And here we are to this year. Where was my lawyer being eaten by a giant dinosaur? (fun year-round!) Stuffing your face full of food because you've been lost outside? (holiday connection!) My favorite line about Disneyland and the Pirates of the Caribbean ride? (topical this year only!) Or, best of all, scaring the little kid in the first few minutes after he compares dinosaurs to "big turkeys?" (double points for holiday connection)

NBC, I'm disappointed in you. You should be ashamed of yourself for showing...well, whatever you broadcast instead.

No comments: