Friday, April 09, 2004

It was just as well that I didn't skip...

...as my classes have been fairly awesome this week, especially Linguistics and Spanish, the two I'd be most tempted to cut out on due to early hours and sheer boredom, respectfully. However, goody-two-shoe-ness worked in my favor this past week as I got out early most of the time in both (a HUGE achievement in Spanish, where we generally run a few minutes over), but also did some cool stuff in class.

[By "cool stuff," I mean non-regular activities.]

In Linguistics, not only did the phrase "den of linguistic iniquity" enter my usage, but she also read us a [drop-in-the-middle-shorted and edited] clip of David Sedaris's Easter story from Me Talk Pretty One Day, a book that apparently no one else in class had heard of, judging from the reaction of the class (compared to mine) which she pulled it out from her bag.

Spanish way-time rocked my socks off, as if clauses continued to benefit my world more than any grammatical function should. Not only did they get me out of class and into sunshine fifteen minutes early last week, they also provided reason for my professor to bring in a clip of "Fiddler on the Roof" so we could watch the "If I Were a Rich Man" section...and translate it into Spanish. And then have a singalong.

Yes, I am happy in my dorkness.

No comments: