Friday, April 09, 2004

"You're on your way to starting your own Blockbuster!"

Off a tip from Annie, who works in the media department of the library, I pulled out my list of movies I want to see and headed over to the library's second floor and the beautiful, wonderful media desk to rent more movies than should be humanly possible.

As the campus officially went on break sometime Friday evening, the library was shutting its doors for the weekend. While nothing could be checked out during this time, it also means nothing can be checked in, allowing for the shelf full of books hanging out in my room right now.

Granted, many people had gotten there before me, so I didn't get everything on my list. However, I do have a grand total of sixteen movies in my room. In alphabetically order:

* Alien - well, I've never seen it and I suppose I might as well

* All About Eve - THE movie about the backstage Hollywood world...or so I hear

* Cabaret - I've been meaning to watch this ever since I played the soundtrack approximately eight times in a row while working on my Hist and Lit paper last semester

* Casablanca - because, deep down inside, I hurt that I haven't seen this one yet

* Edward Scissorhands - well, I did owe Annie a favor for the tip...

* Fargo - per someone's recommendation (not that I remember who anymore)

* Monsoon Wedding - Michelle, who lived down the hall from me last year and exposed me to all sorts of fabulous movies, loved this one

* The Mystery of Edwin Drood - I didn't check the back first and thought it was a stage version of the musical (we have lots of those in the library), but apparently it's taken straight from the novel so I'll probably ignore it completely

* The Piano - Holly Hunter and Anna Paquin, yo!

* Pride and Prejudice - yup, the A&E or BBC or whatever six-VHS-long miniseries starring Colin Firth...all because I asked the media desk worker if there was anything she'd recommend "while I was at it"

* The Usual Suspects - because Mom and Caleb had seen it and wanted to talk about it in Wal-Mart once, but I was there, so I had to go look at keychains or something so they could discuss the ending

If they weren't due back until Monday evening, I'd certainly get through all 16 (I'm not adding up the hours). However, they have to be back by 1:00 p.m. on Monday, or I get charged the late fee: a buck a piece. As I've avoided Wal-Mart for weeks now to not decrease my checkbook further, I think I want to skip paying the University more money than I have to. But that's just me.

No comments: