Monday, May 17, 2004

But I'm totally still alive!

Grand Adventure Alert: Due to both my parents hanging out in period clothing and slumming it 1812-style, I was sent to drive [completely unsupervised] to Columbia, pick up my darling brother, and cart us--and all his stuff--back home again.

No, I amazingly did not flip out once during the entire trip. I came close a few times, but never truly managed "flipping out." Anyway. Trip observations:

* I have so many more things to add to the download list, including a great blues song by Jack Williams, Maroon 5's "This Love" (which is apparently *the* song of the moment), and something by Collective Soul that is vaguely stuck in my head. Yes, I had ecclectic radio moments.

* Amount of roadkill viewed on the backroads: over twenty

* Amount of roadkill viewed on the highway: not as much, mostly because I was trying to not think about the fact that I was (1) on the highway, and (2) unbelievably late. I did see something that looked like a small, distinctly orange monkey, though.

* Moment I realized I was on the highway and not dead yet: at a "Roadside Park 5 Miles" sign

* It's always fun to miss a turn off and then try to find a place to turn around or just get back on track.

* Speaking of which: definitely had a moment reminicent of the Hope-Hannah Trip to Six Flags of 2002 when I noticed the exact turn-off right as the car drove past it, in a "Huh. I'm supposed to turn there."-way

* I still hate pumping gas. Always will, I think. I'm making my peace with street lights, but it's tenuous at best.

* I wouldn't have driven so fast on the way there if I had realized how long I'd be in Columbia.

* With that much stuff in the car, inertia is anything but your friend.

* At least I made eleven cents (in two nickels and a penny) from the small change found in Caleb's room.

No comments: