Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Blinding News Flash!

I have new socks! And I was stuck in a sand road for over two hours today at the top of the county!

What? You want to know more? Okay, two have cows, one with ducks, one has pink stripes and frogs, another features monkeys.


Oh. Sand. Right.

So, I was basically trying to turn around after fruitlessly driving around on a gravel road at the complete top of Franklin county (in one of the pointy bits and everything) trying to set out a trap in that particular grid square. However, all the trees were *close* to the road, but not really decently close enough, especially when interspearsed amongst all the fields of corn or lollipops or whatever. I'd finally had enough and began looking for a place to turn around when I noticed a side road (it looked like a simple dirt road) coming up on the right. I pulled into it thinking I could use it to back up and turn back toward town...when I realized the car wasn't reversing. Instead, it was shooting a rather impressive stream of watery sand into the air approximately where the tires are located.

Cue mini panic moment. Also cue mini pathetic moment: I actually tried to dig the sand out from around the wheels with the ice scraper kept in the car no matter the season. Truly pathetic and unsuccessful. I eventually gave up and started the long walk back into the town, where I jumped on the first people I saw for help. They made a couple phone calls looking for someone and eventually queried a friend walking down the street.

Thus began the search for a tractor.

Joey, the guy pulled off the street, began a [mirroring the rest of the saga] long and ultimately pointless search for his boss, the farmer, to borrow a tractor to pull the poor car out of the sand trap. Giving up, we drove out to the scene of the incident so he could analyze the next step. As I am clueless about cars and therefore couldn't explain any problems to him, this was a brilliant idea.

This is the part with lots of digging. And rain. And digging in the rain, which isn't as movie-like as singing. Somewhere in here a shovel was fetched, a brother showed up (who remembered rescuing my own brother from a close spot farther out the previous year), and a chain became attached to a van to assist the re-moving backwards.

After two hours, I was finally ready to continue on to New Haven and my sand-less life. Sure, I still don't have a trap in that box, but I think I might write that one off as a personal choice to ignore the grid, just this once.

No comments: