Monday, March 24, 2008

A Love Letter (I apologize for how long this'll take to load each time)
Dear Houston Rodeo, You have no idea how upset I am that I didn't make your aquaintance last year, what with the utter love I have for you now. You took all my favorite things about the Missouri state fair (plethera of fried food, carnival rides, people talking loudly about absurd subjects as if no one can hear their conversations) and added people being thrown from angry bulls. Funnel cake in one hand, cowboy rubber duckie in the other, rodeo princess hat on top, this was a land of details. Livestock sharing my name? An alpaca named "Miss Hannah" - check. A stuffed rabbit filling the empty cage (picked to look like the actual breed) while the real was out for petting? - check The border patrol booth set up casually between a leather shop and the jewelry cleaner? There it is, conveniently across from the Ford trucks so I didn't get caught taking a direct picture. Letting me get just close enough to use my full zoom for moderately fuzzy pictures of famous country music stars? But, really Rodeo, it was the finale of closing out the park by country-swing dancing to "I Walk the Line" with an expert twirler that truly made my heart go pitter patter.

I'll miss you 'til next year. Love, Hannah

No comments: