Tuesday, September 09, 2008

I really don't know what it means to be a vine.

Once Upon a Time, back at the evening of my first Spotlighter Awards, I stood at the far end of the hall, clutching my suitcase prop (for my part as "New Intern #2) and listening to the announcement of the technical awards. This was my first official day with the players, and I was already nervous about finding where I'd fit in with the company. And there I was, listening to people I already knew as actors winning designing awards, box office staff being named best director, and the like. The secret to extending your time with the players beyond the intern year, it seemed, was not only to find one area to excel, but *three.* I sincerely had the thought that myself, as stage manager (or assistant sm, at the time) and box office worker, wouldn't quite cut the line. Oh, the sound designs and posters I saw myself creating during those brief five minutes.

(I am now aware how delusional this idea was.)

There's some part of me that has never gotten over that moment. Clearly, I'm foolish for ever thinking a stage manager would never be in demand somewhere, but *three* positions in one company? Who really has time to devote to three seperate fields? If I "root quickly and getting into everything," as one person put it, it's only because I can't not be involved in a department. Part being raised not to shirk responsibility (even when it sucks), part frightened intern hoping not to be kicked out of Texas (all my stuff had moved), that's what makes up this vine.

No comments: