Friday, July 03, 2009

I'm about 5-2 for naming songs playing on the All Broadway station during the past half hour.

I pulled out a suitcase last night with the intention of seeing how things fit. The answer is that things are going to fit with room to spare for a small Dalek (hello, mild Doctor Who obsession!) and part of David Garrick's grave (hello, mild Hist&Lit II obsession) to spare.

I wish I had this suitcase the last time I went, when I tried to cram two weeks worth of clothes (plus shoes, since this is me) into the same family suitcase that has traveled with the Smiths for ages, despite it not being the most spacious piece of luggage you might hope for. (And then I had to figure out a way to get home everything I bought, because the snow globes and t-shirts and pirate flags and everything else couldn't not come home.)

This suitcase, which needs a name if I insist on taking it places where I will probably need to yell at it while dragging it up flights of stairs, is [as mentioned] large and lime green, which is another reason to take it places. It was bought two Christmases ago with the intention that I was about to take a trip. The fact that the NYC adventure was canceled due to team sports just means that I've delayed the grand debut of the monster bag.

So, I want to actually use this bag, if nothing else because it needs to be used for more than just storage in my closet. Maybe I'll pack all the shoes I actually want, rather than feel I'll need. Maybe I'll buy all the shoes I want. And maybe, sadly, I'll suck it up and use the size suitcase I actually need, and save the nameless green beast for another day.

3 comments:

will said...

Hannah Smith and the Monster Bag.

Definitely a children's book.

Lissa said...

Maybe the monster bag's name should be Oscar then when you are having problems dragging it up stairs you can tell it to stop being a grouch. Also I think you should take it with you because you never know what great things you will find to bring home...just think of how many pencils will fit:)

Hannah said...

I'm digging Oscar. That's ten times better than what had been floating in my head (Shrek, which I really didn't want to go with, but was stuck so securely that nothing else was getting through). Ten points to Melissa!

I've already thrown in my pencil case from Meredith to help keep your presents safe. Hurrah!